LinkedIn InMail Ads provide a unique opportunity for targeted advertising and direct engagement with potential leads within the LinkedIn platform. With the ability to deliver personalised messages within the uncluttered LinkedIn inbox environment, InMail Ads offers a more effective alternative to traditional email marketing campaigns. The ads are only sent to members when they are active on the LinkedIn site, increasing the chances of direct engagement and eliminating the risk of messages getting lost in crowded email inboxes.
By utilising LinkedIn InMail Ads, marketers can achieve personalised outreach and expand their network, ultimately leading to more effective marketing campaigns and increased lead generation. In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of LinkedIn InMail Ads, from understanding how they work to crafting compelling content and targeting the right audience.
- LinkedIn InMail Ads provide a unique opportunity for targeted advertising and direct engagement within the LinkedIn platform
- They offer a more effective alternative to traditional email marketing campaigns
- InMail Ads are only delivered to members when they are active on LinkedIn, increasing the chances of direct engagement
- By utilising InMail Ads, marketers can achieve personalised outreach and expand their network
- This article will provide a comprehensive guide to LinkedIn InMail Ads, including how they work and best practices for success
How LinkedIn Sponsored InMail Works
LinkedIn Sponsored InMail allows marketers to deliver personalised messages directly to a lead’s LinkedIn inbox, ensuring higher engagement and response rates compared to traditional email marketing. Unlike regular email campaigns, LinkedIn InMails are sent within the uncluttered LinkedIn inbox environment, reaching recipients when they are active on the platform.
Sponsored InMail messages are designed to engage potential leads on a more personal and direct level than other digital advertising methods. By delivering targeted messages to users’ inboxes, marketers can generate, nurture, and convert leads effectively. The messages are only delivered when users are actively using LinkedIn, increasing the chances of direct engagement.
LinkedIn Inbox Experience
The LinkedIn inbox provides a professional environment for communication and networking. Users prioritise messages received on LinkedIn since they often relate to professional opportunities, industry updates, or potential partnerships. This focused environment makes Sponsored InMail an effective tool for marketers to connect with their target audience.
Unlike regular email campaigns that may get lost in cluttered inboxes or relegated to spam folders, Sponsored InMail messages receive greater attention and are more likely to be read and engaged with. Users tend to view these messages as valuable and relevant due to LinkedIn’s professional context, further enhancing the effectiveness of Sponsored InMail campaigns.
Sponsored InMail messages are delivered within the LinkedIn inbox, making them more visible to the target audience. Users are more likely to open and engage with these messages since they are seamlessly integrated with their regular LinkedIn activities.
LinkedIn Sponsored InMail allows marketers to deliver personalised messages directly to a lead’s LinkedIn inbox, ensuring higher engagement and response rates compared to traditional email marketing.
Benefits of LinkedIn Sponsored InMail
LinkedIn Sponsored InMail offers several advantages over traditional email marketing campaigns:
- Personalised Outreach: Sponsored InMail enables marketers to tailor their messages based on the recipient’s LinkedIn profile and professional interests. This personalisation helps create a stronger connection and increases the likelihood of engagement.
- Higher Engagement Rates: Sponsored InMail messages delivered within the LinkedIn inbox receive greater attention and have higher open and click-through rates compared to regular email campaigns.
- Professional Context: Messages received on LinkedIn are associated with professional opportunities and industry updates, making users more likely to view Sponsored InMail as valuable and relevant communication.
- Network Expansion: Sponsored InMail allows marketers to reach a wider audience and connect with professionals who may not be reachable through other channels.
- Effective Marketing Campaigns: With the ability to deliver targeted, personalised messages directly to the LinkedIn inbox, Sponsored InMail provides a powerful tool for lead generation, nurturing, and conversion.
Next, we’ll dive into the process of setting up and launching Sponsored InMail campaigns to maximise the benefits of this powerful advertising tool.
To get started with your Sponsored InMail campaign, you’ll need to navigate to Campaign Manager, the hub for all your LinkedIn marketing campaigns. Here, you can access the tools and features necessary to set up and launch your campaign successfully.
1. Choose an Account Name: When setting up your campaign, it’s important to select a memorable Account Name that will make sense to everyone on your team. This will help you easily identify and track your campaign in the future.
2. Set Up Sender Permissions: The sender plays a significant role in representing your brand and the reader’s experience with your InMail message. By default, you can select yourself as the sender. However, if you would like to set up another sender, you must have a first-degree connection with the person you’d like to add. Once you add senders, you can send approval requests to let them know what being involved in the campaign means. You can manage sender permissions and track who has approved your request in the Campaign Manager.
3. Craft Compelling Content: Creating engaging and impactful content is crucial for the success of your Sponsored InMail campaign. When crafting your message, keep the following guidelines in mind:
– Add a custom salutation with %FIRSTNAME% %LASTNAME% to personalise your message.
– Keep your message concise, personal, and relevant. InMail messages with body texts under 500 characters have a 46% higher click-through rate (CTR).
– Make your message interactive by adding hyperlinks to your body text. This can drive more engagement and lead the reader to take the desired action.
– If your InMail includes an offer, coupon, or giveaway, you can add terms and conditions to provide clarity and ensure a smooth user experience.
4. Utilise Creative Elements: While not mandatory, you have the option to include a banner image with your InMail to make it visually appealing and grab the reader’s attention. The optimal size for the banner image is 300×250 pixels. If you choose not to use your own image, ads from other advertisers may appear in the slot.
5. Preview and Test: Before launching your InMail campaign, it’s essential to preview and test your message. This will allow you to ensure that everything looks and functions correctly. From the preview screen in Campaign Manager, you can send yourself a test version of the message to review the layout and content. Additionally, you can set up A/B tests to experiment with different variations of your message and determine which one performs best.
6. Target the Right Audience: Targeting the right audience is crucial for the success of your campaign. In the Campaign Manager, you can define specific criteria to narrow down your target audience. LinkedIn will estimate the size of your target audience based on the criteria you apply. It’s best to aim for an audience size of around 100,000 to ensure that you have sufficient reach and scale.
7. Set Bids and Budgets: Determining the appropriate bid range and budget for your campaign is essential. The Campaign Manager will suggest a bid range to reach your target audience effectively. It’s recommended to bid at the high end of the range to increase your chances of winning the auction. Keep in mind that the winning bid is determined via a second-price auction, so you will only pay enough to beat the second-highest bidder.
8. Launch Your Campaign: Once you have set up all the necessary elements of your Sponsored InMail campaign, you’re ready to launch. In the Campaign Manager, you have the option to launch the campaign immediately or schedule it for a future date. It’s important to monitor your campaign’s performance regularly and make adjustments as needed to optimise results.
By following these steps and utilising the features available in the Campaign Manager, you can create and launch a successful Sponsored InMail campaign on LinkedIn. Remember to continuously analyse and refine your campaigns to achieve the best possible results.
To maximise the effectiveness of your InMail messages, it’s important to craft content that is personalised, concise, and engaging.
When it comes to sending InMail messages on LinkedIn, it’s crucial to remember that personalisation is key. By adding a custom salutation with %FIRSTNAME% %LASTNAME%, you can create a more personalised and attention-grabbing message. This simple touch shows the recipient that you have taken the time to address them individually, increasing the chances of them engaging with your message.
In addition to personalisation, it’s important to keep your messaging concise and relevant. InMail messages that are under 500 characters have been found to have a 46% higher click-through rate. So, be sure to get straight to the point and communicate the value or benefit that you are offering in a clear and concise manner.
Another effective way to engage recipients is by incorporating interactive elements into your InMail messages. Adding hyperlinks to your body text can make your message more interactive and encourage recipients to take action. Whether it’s directing them to a landing page or a specific resource, interactive elements can increase engagement and drive conversions.
Furthermore, consider including offers and giveaways in your InMail messages. By providing added value or exclusive promotions to recipients, you can increase the likelihood of them responding or taking the desired action. However, it’s important to include clear terms and conditions for any offers or giveaways to ensure transparency and prevent any misunderstandings.
Lastly, don’t forget to proofread your InMail messages and ensure that they comply with LinkedIn’s terms and conditions. By double-checking your content, you can avoid any potential issues or violations that could impact the success of your campaign.
Adding a visually appealing banner image can enhance the impact of your InMail ads and increase engagement with your target audience. LinkedIn allows you to include a banner image with your InMail, providing an eye-catching visual element that can grab the attention of your recipients. The optimal size for the banner image is 300×250 pixels, so be sure to create or select an image that fits this dimension.
In addition to the banner image, you can also customise your InMail ads in other ways to make them more visually appealing. LinkedIn offers various options for ad customisation, such as choosing different fonts, colours, and layouts to match your brand’s style and personality. By customising your InMail ads, you can create a cohesive and visually appealing campaign that stands out in your recipients’ inboxes.
However, if you choose not to use a custom banner image, LinkedIn may display alternate ads from other advertisers in that slot. So, it’s important to carefully consider whether to use a custom image or let LinkedIn display alternate ads based on their algorithms.
Utilising Creative Elements
When crafting your InMail ads, it’s important to utilise creative elements that will capture your recipients’ attention and encourage them to take action. In addition to the banner image, consider incorporating other interactive elements, such as buttons or clickable links within the body of your message. These interactive elements can make your InMail more engaging and increase the chances of conversion.
Remember to keep the size of your images and interactive elements optimised for mobile viewing, as many LinkedIn users access the platform from mobile devices. Test how your ads appear on different devices and adjust as necessary to ensure a seamless user experience.
“Adding a visually appealing banner image can enhance the impact of your InMail ads and increase engagement with your target audience.”
In summary, including a visually appealing banner image and utilising creative elements can greatly enhance the impact of your InMail ads on LinkedIn. By customising your ads and making them visually appealing, you can grab the attention of your target audience and increase engagement and conversion rates. Don’t forget to test and optimise your ads for different devices to ensure maximum effectiveness.
Previewing and Testing InMail Messages
Before sending out your InMail messages, it’s crucial to preview and test them to ensure they resonate with your audience and achieve the desired outcomes. By taking the time to review and refine your messages, you can increase the chances of a successful campaign. Here are some key steps to consider:
- Preview your InMail: Once you have crafted your InMail content, take advantage of the preview feature in the Campaign Manager. This allows you to see how your message will appear to your recipients, ensuring that it looks professional and engaging.
- Send test versions: Before launching your campaign, send test versions of your InMail to yourself or a small group of colleagues. This will allow you to review the message and make any necessary revisions to improve its effectiveness.
- Conduct A/B testing: A/B testing involves creating multiple versions of your InMail and testing them against each other to determine which performs better. You can vary elements such as the subject line, messaging, or call-to-action to see which resonates more with your audience. This can help you optimise your campaign for better results.
- Estimate your target audience: Use the Campaign Manager’s target audience estimation feature to get an idea of the potential reach and size of your campaign. This can help you gauge the impact and adjust your messaging accordingly.
By previewing and testing your InMail messages, you can ensure that they meet your expectations and resonate with your target audience. This will increase the chances of a successful campaign and maximise your ROI.
Audience Targeting: A Key Factor for InMail Campaign Success
The success of your InMail campaign relies heavily on targeting the right audience, so it’s essential to carefully select the criteria and estimate the potential reach. By reaching the right people with your messaging, you can maximise engagement and increase the chances of generating leads and conversions. Here are some key tips for audience targeting:
When setting up your InMail campaign, you’ll have the option to define specific criteria for targeting your audience. This can include factors such as job title, industry, company size, location, and more. It’s important to consider your target audience’s demographics and interests to ensure your messaging resonates with them.
Take the time to research and understand your ideal customer profile, as this will help you refine your criteria selection and narrow down your target audience effectively.
Audience Size Estimation
As you set your targeting criteria, the Campaign Manager will provide an estimate of the potential audience size. Aim for a target audience size of around 100,000 to ensure you have a large enough pool to reach without sacrificing relevance.
Keep in mind that too large of an audience may dilute your messaging, while too small of an audience may limit your campaign’s reach. Use the audience size estimation to strike the right balance.
Refining and Testing
Targeting is an ongoing process, and it’s important to refine your criteria based on the performance of your campaigns. Monitor the engagement metrics and adjust your targeting as needed to optimise results.
In addition, consider conducting A/B tests with different targeting criteria to identify the most effective combinations. This can help you fine-tune your audience selection and improve the success of future campaigns.
Remember, successful audience targeting is the key to a successful InMail campaign. By carefully selecting criteria and estimating the audience size, you can ensure your messaging reaches the right people and achieves your campaign objectives.
Setting Bids and Budgets
Setting the right bid and budget for your InMail campaign is crucial for optimising performance and achieving your marketing goals. The bidding process on LinkedIn is based on a second-price auction model, where you only pay enough to beat the second-highest bidder. Here are some key considerations when setting your bids and budgets:
LinkedIn’s Campaign Manager will suggest a bid range to help you reach your target audience. It’s advisable to bid at the high end of the recommended range to increase your chances of winning the auction. Higher bids typically result in higher ad visibility and engagement.
When determining your bidding strategy, consider your campaign objectives and budget. If your goal is to generate leads or conversions, a cost-per-click (CPC) strategy may be appropriate. If brand awareness or engagement is your focus, cost-per-impression (CPM) bidding may be more suitable. Experiment with different bidding strategies to find the one that works best for your campaign.
In a second-price auction, you pay only slightly more than the second-highest bid. This means that you won’t necessarily pay your maximum bid amount, but rather the minimum amount necessary to win the auction. It’s important to set a competitive bid to ensure your ads are seen by your target audience.
Once you’ve set your bids and budget, you’re ready to launch your InMail campaign. You have the option to launch the campaign immediately or schedule it for a future date. Consider your campaign goals and audience behaviour when deciding on the timing of your campaign launch.
By setting the right bids and budget for your InMail campaign, you can maximise your ad visibility, engage your target audience, and achieve your marketing objectives on LinkedIn. Remember to monitor your campaign performance and make adjustments as needed to optimise your results.
Launching Your InMail Campaign
After completing all the necessary setup steps, you’re ready to launch your InMail campaign and start reaching your target audience. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
- Navigate to Campaign Manager: Go to linkedin.com/ads or access Campaign Manager directly from your profile. This is where you’ll manage all your LinkedIn marketing campaigns.
- Select Sponsored InMail: Once you’re in Campaign Manager, choose Sponsored InMail as your ad format. This will ensure that your campaign is set up specifically for InMail advertising.
- Enter an Account Name: Choose a memorable name for your account and select your local currency. If you have an existing Company or Showcase Page, you can link it to your account here.
- Set up Sender Permissions: The sender of your InMail plays an important role in representing your brand and creating a positive reader experience. By default, you can select yourself as the sender. However, if you want to add another sender, you must have a first-degree connection with that person. After adding senders, you can send approval requests to let them know about their involvement in the campaign. Manage permissions to see who has approved your requests.
- Craft Your Content: When creating your InMail message, keep these guidelines in mind: personalise the salutation with %FIRSTNAME% %LASTNAME%, be concise, personal, and relevant (keeping the body text under 500 characters can increase click-through rates), add hyperlinks for interactivity, and include any terms and conditions if you’re offering an incentive or giveaway.
- Add Creative: If desired, include a compelling banner image with your InMail. The optimal size for the banner image is 300×250 pixels. If you choose not to use your own image, other advertisers’ ads may appear in that space.
- Preview Your InMail: Before launching your campaign, it’s important to preview your InMail message. Click the envelope icon to send yourself a test version of the message and ensure everything looks and functions as intended. This is also the stage where you can set up A/B tests, which allow you to compare the performance of different versions of your message.
- Select Your Target Audience: Use the targeting options in Campaign Manager to define the audience you want to reach with your InMail campaign. LinkedIn will estimate the size of your target audience based on the criteria you’ve selected. It’s recommended to aim for an audience size of around 100,000 to ensure reach and scale.
- Set Bid and Budget: The Campaign Manager will suggest a bid range to reach your target audience. You’ll be bidding against other advertisers trying to reach a similar audience. It’s generally a good idea to bid at the higher end of the recommended range for better chances of winning the auction. Remember, the winning bid is determined via a second-price auction, so you’ll only pay enough to beat the second-highest bidder. Set your budget accordingly as well.
- Launch Your Campaign: Finally, you’re ready to launch your InMail campaign. You can choose to launch it immediately or schedule it for a future date. Once your campaign is live, monitor its performance closely to make any necessary adjustments.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully launched your InMail campaign on LinkedIn. Now, your personalised messages will be sent directly to your target audience, helping you achieve your marketing objectives. Start monitoring the performance of your campaign and make any necessary optimisations to ensure its success.
LinkedIn InMail Ads offer a powerful and effective way to reach and engage your target audience directly in their professional inboxes. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can create compelling InMail campaigns, target the right audience, and launch successful marketing initiatives on LinkedIn.
Remember, launching an InMail campaign is just the beginning. Continuously monitor and optimise your campaigns to maximise their impact and achieve your marketing goals. With LinkedIn InMail Ads, you have the potential to expand your network, generate leads, and drive effective marketing campaigns that resonate with your audience.
LinkedIn advertising offers a valuable opportunity for businesses to connect with their target audience through personalised outreach and expand their network. Sponsored InMail ads, in particular, provide a powerful tool for marketers to deliver targeted messages directly to the LinkedIn inbox of active users.
With Sponsored InMail campaigns, businesses can break through the limitations of traditional email marketing and reach leads in a less cluttered environment. The unique features of LinkedIn Message Ads allow for more personal and direct engagement, resulting in higher chances of conversions and better campaign performance.
Getting started with Sponsored InMail campaigns is as simple as navigating to the Campaign Manager, selecting Sponsored InMail, and setting up your account and campaign details. Craft compelling content that is concise, relevant, and personalised, and consider adding interactive elements and offers to drive engagement.
Utilising creative elements, such as banner images, can enhance the visual appeal of your InMail ads and capture the attention of your target audience. Previewing and testing your messages before launch, as well as targeting the right audience and setting optimal bids and budgets, are crucial steps in optimising your campaign performance.
By following these best practices and leveraging the features of Sponsored InMail, businesses can drive effective marketing campaigns, generate leads, and expand their network on LinkedIn. The personalised nature of InMail ads and the ability to directly engage with potential leads make them a valuable tool in any marketer’s arsenal.
So why wait? Start leveraging LinkedIn InMail Ads to deliver personalised outreach and expand your network today!
LinkedIn InMail Ads Explained
LinkedIn Sponsored InMail is a powerful tool that allows marketers to send personalised messages directly to members’ LinkedIn inboxes. Unlike traditional email marketing, Sponsored InMail reaches members only when they are active on the LinkedIn site, maximising the chances of engaging with the right audience.
To get started with Sponsored InMail campaigns on LinkedIn, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to Campaign Manager: Access Campaign Manager from your profile or by visiting linkedin.com/ads.
2. Select Sponsored InMail: Choose the Sponsored InMail option from Campaign Manager.
3. Enter an Account Name: Select a memorable name for your account and link it to an existing Company or Showcase Page if desired.
4. Set up Sender Permissions: Choose yourself or another first-degree connection as the sender of your InMail messages. Send approval requests to ensure the participation of other senders.
5. Craft Your Content: Keep your messages concise, personalised, and relevant. Add a custom salutation with %FIRSTNAME% %LASTNAME% and make your messages interactive with hyperlinks.
6. Add Creative: Include a banner image with your InMail for visual appeal. The optimal size for the image is 300×250 pixels.
7. Preview and Test: Send yourself a test version of the message to preview how it will appear to recipients. Set up A/B tests to optimise your campaign.
8. Select Your Target Audience: Use Campaign Manager to define the criteria for your target audience. Aim for around 100,000 members to ensure scale.
9. Set Bid and Budget: Set a bid range that allows you to reach your target audience effectively. Bids are determined via a second-price auction.
10. Launch Your Campaign: Choose to launch the campaign immediately or schedule it for a future date. Monitor campaign performance to make necessary adjustments.
LinkedIn InMail Ads offer a unique opportunity for personalised outreach and effective marketing campaigns. By following these steps, you can maximise the impact of your messages and reach your target audience on LinkedIn. To learn more about Sponsored InMail, take advantage of our free LinkedIn Sponsored InMail course on Lynda.com.
So, if you’re ready to take your marketing to the next level, head to linkedin.com/ads and start your first Sponsored InMail campaign today. And don’t forget to subscribe to the LinkedIn Marketing Solutions blog to stay updated on the latest trends and strategies in digital marketing.